Companion and Pre & Post Tours
It is of our honor to show you the highlights of Xi'an's historical relics and natural scenery with our pre & post tours. And we hope to give you a relaxing while memorable experience during your spare time when attending the conference.
Xi'an Tourist Attractions
In 221 B.C., Emperor Qin Shi Huang of the Qin dynasty established the first centralized feudal dynasty in China. After his death, he was buried at the north foot of Lishan Hill in the east of Lintong county. The tomb is a rammed-soil mound, 47m. high and its base is 485m.× 515m. In 1974, three large pits of terra-cotta figures were found 1.5 km. east of the mausoleum. Among the three, the largest one is pit No.1, covering 14,260 sq.m.. The pit is divided into eleven corridors in which arrayed 38 columns of life-sized clay warriors, horses and chariots.
The pagoda was originally situated within the premises of the Temple of Motherly Kindness in the Jinchang Block in the Chang'an city of the Tang Dynasty. The Temple was built in 648 A.D. (twenty-second year of Zhenguan of the Tang) by the then Prince Li Zhi, who later became Emperor Gaozong, to honor his mother, Empress Wende. The Pagoda itself was built in 652 (third year of Yonghui of the Tang Emperor Gaozong). A square pyramid of blue brick, it is 64 meters high, with seven stories. It is simple in shape, and of good and lofty proportion. Preserved on the four stone doors in the base of the pagoda are exquisite engravings of the Tang. Two steles with "the preface to the Sacred Religion" written by the famous Tang calligrapher Chu Suiliang are set into the walls on the either side of the south door of the pagoda. Because of their distinctive and elegant inscriptions, the steles are valuable data for the art of calligraphy.
The Xi'an City Wall is the best preserved, oldest and largest ancient city defense system in China. It is also one of the most important landmarks of the Xi'an city. The original foundation of the Xi'an City Wall was based on the ruins of the ImperialCity Wall of Chang'an City--the capital of the Tang Dynasty. In 904 A.D. when the capital of the Tang Dynasty was moved eastward, the Governor-general Han Jian had the city renovated and turned it into an army garrison and named it "New City".
Since then the city was used continuously by Song and Yuan Dynasties, and its features kept unchanged. The Ming Dynasty was set up in 1368 and the Ming army entered the city in 1369. Afterward the city was renamed as "the Prefecture of Xi'an".
In 1370 the First Ming Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang conferred the title of "King of Qin" on his second son Zhu Shuang and sent him to rule in Shaanxi. The King's official residence was chosen and built in Xi'an City. According to the Ming Dynasty's stipulation, when the title of King was conferred upon the Emperor's son, his costume, Carriage, flag and residence had to be one grade lower than the emperors'. The old city was dilapidated and its size was small, so it was not up to the standard.
In 1370, the government began to extend the size of the Xi'an City, and build the huge project of the residence for the Ding of Qin. It was completed within eight years. When the city began to take shape, it was divided into inner city and outer city. The outer city is 13.7 km. in circumference and it occupies an area of 11.5 square km. The structure of the City Wall was earth-rammed.
For more tourist information, please visit the website: http://en1.xian-tourism.com/